Monday, March 7, 2016

Why All About That Bass is Terrible for Body Image

Photo courtesy of youtube.com
I’ve been wanting to write this since I was a senior in high school. The reason I never wrote it is because Meghan Trainor and I are from the same area. Considering all the bad press The Cape gets, I didn’t want to add any flames to the fire, but this song should not be praised for its message about body image.  

The song does bring up some good points about body image.  That you should love your body and how horrible Photoshop is, but Meghan Trainor lost it when she explains what she believes is beautiful.  
Photo courtesy of gallantgirls.com
Let’s start with “Yeah, my mama she told me ‘don't worry about your size’, she says, ‘boys like a little more booty to hold at night’”.  Not only is this quote saying that girls are more beautiful if they have curves (not that all girls are beautiful), but is also saying that women should measure their self esteem based on what guys think about them.  

This was the line that hurt me the most, “Go 'head and tell them skinny bitches that, No, I'm just playing, I know you think you're fat”. For the most part of my life, I have always been 5’5” and 120 pounds. When I was a senior in high school I got very sick. I started to get sick everytime I ate and eventually lost my appetite. I lost around 20 pounds.  
Photo courtesy of onlythebest.co
Gaining that weight back was extremely challenging.  I had to completely change my diet, while still getting sick with things I ate. It was extremely painful, I was the weakest I’ve been in my life.  

Everyone’s body is different, and I’m naturally a size 2 and like most girls, I also have body issues. I’ve been told I weigh too much, I’m too skinny, or that my body is perfect.  Meghan Trainor does save herself by saying “I’m playing” after saying skinny bitches, but then says “I know you think you’re fat” which made me sad because just because does not mean you don't have body issues.
Photo courtesy of sodahead.com
I do think that Meghan Trainor is a great person with an amazing voice, but I think she needs to apologize for this song.  The reason being, it is not positive about body image.  It is one sided and does not appreciate all different body types.  In my opinion this song is offensive to women because it does not appreciate every body and how everyone's body if beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment