Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Urban Outfitters Controversy



Two years ago I created my instargam to create a place where people could get advice on fashion and ask questions.  I do not like how fashion is criticized and I feel that everyone should be able to wear what they want to without feeling unconfident because they are worried about what other people will think of their outfit choice.  That being said there is an exception  to everything.  I don't know if any of you shop at Urban Outfitter but lately their company has be under scrutiny can many people like my self have refused to shop there ever again.  In their last quarter their stock has fallen 10% and here's why I have stopped shopping there.
I don't know who creates the clothing for Urban but I think right about now they are moving to Siberia.  The first shirt has the words depression on it.  Depression is a serious issue that many people suffer from many being teenagers and young adults which is Urbans target audience.  The second shirt says eat less which from what I can get from it is promoting anorexia.  Anorexia is a painful decease that can lead someone to die or be hospitalized and I can't imagine that a grown person who probably went to college would even think of creating this shirt. 
Urbans latest controversy has been the bloody Kent State sweatshirt priced at $120.  Kent State was the site of a massacre in 1970.  The National Guard shot 14 students killing four because of protesting.  What is going on with Urban outfitters.  After clothing gets designed for a company it has to go through an approval process.  Which makes a person wonder where this controversial clothing choices made  to get media attention so their brand was not forgotten. 


No comments:

Post a Comment