Monday, January 11, 2016

My Thoughts on Body Image

Body image is a hot topic among all youth and fills the pages on the most popular fashion magazines.  For a while I wanted to share my thoughts on body image and what I believe needs to change for young adults to have a healthy view of themselves.  
One of the aspects of our society that has hurt people’s ideas of their body image is magazines.  Even though Photoshop seems like a harmless computer program, it creates a fantasy about what a person is suppose to look like.  I remember I was watching an episode of the Kardashians and not even after the photo shoot was completed one of the sisters said, “They better Photoshop them.”
Everyone strives to be perfect, even the people that say they don’t care or don’t try want to be perfect.  The thing is, we can’t be perfect because what is perfect?  
There’s another thing about body image I really wanted to bring up.  I watch The Mindy Project and just recently watched Trainwreck.  In both of these the main actresses, Mindy Kaling and Amy Schumer, are making jokes about their own weight or one of the supporting characters is making the joke.  This may not be the opinion of the masses, but I don’t think it is alright to make a joke about a woman's weight especially when I think those are two gorgeous actresses.  
Image from glammer.com

There are many articles about how to end the stigma of body image, but to tell you the truth I think the solution is impossible.  Magazines and companies are always going to use Photoshop, which is horrible because we are never going to be able to see a real image of someone on the cover of a magazine.  Fashion is a world that strives for perfection, which is something I really prefer not to stand for.  In my opinion, fashion should be like a messy experiment, it’s what makes me love fashion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment