Sunday, May 3, 2015

My 7 Tips for Finals

Currently it's 3:41 and I'm exhausted pulling an all nighter studying for my political science test.  Finals are hard, most of mine are worth half of my grade and I'm sure many of you are in that situation.  Tests are not my thing, I'd rather write and essay or do a project.  One reason is because it's a lot less stress and I believe you learn more from doing research and making something out of that knowledge then memorizing a bunch of terms.  Here are some tips if your someone like me who would rather be sleeping right now then studying:

1. Listen to Music


Listening to some background music keeps you concentrated because if blocks out the noise.  Also it keeps you awake during the late night study sessions.  My favorite things to listen to while studying is Eminem, the fray and T swizzle.

2.  Take Breaks


If you binge watch a show on Netflix there comes to a point were you stop paying attention. The same things go with studying.  Take a couple minutes to get a drink or a little snack.  What I'm doing during my study breaks is working a little on a blog post.


3. Exercise


I don't mean run a marathon but exercise is a great stress relief and it is a great way to get your mind off the difference between long run and short run in economics.  What I did was I took my dog on a little walk around my neighborhood.

4.  Do Something Creative


Art is something I have always used as a great stress relief.  My skull painting that hangs in my dorm room was finished when I was trying to find someone to cover my shift when I forgot to ask off prom.    What I would do was get a piece of scrap paper and take a ten minute break every hour and draw what ever comes to your mind.

5. Switch Subjects


Staying on the same subject for hours it not going to help you.  Soon you are going to become bored and stop paying attention to what you are reading and soon you're going to be telling yourself "Let's get this over with".  What I do it I do 50 minute intervals.  Study Poly Sci for 50 minutes take a ten minute break then move on to Econ.  Taking a break gives your brain time to process.

6. Get A Good Nights Sleep


Staying up till 4 am when you have a 7:30 final is not going to help you.  You need energy to focus on your exam.  Try to at least get 8 hours of sleep.


7. Relax


This one is easier said then done.  Take deep breaths, on your way to your exam listen to your battle song (mine is eye of the tiger).  You got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment